I was watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart who was talking about unusual laws in the South. It made me think of one law which always brings a smile to my face from Los Angeles.
This one likely is from the late 1800s or early 1900s. "It is unlawful to shoot jackrabbits while riding in a trolley car in Los Angeles ".
Part of the reason this is funny to me is when I was a boy my father trained me and my cousins to shoot partly by taking us into the desert to shoot jackrabbits on the run. So, even in the 1950s boys were given .22 rifles regularly by age 6 or 8 years of age across the U.S. Mine was given to me by my grandmother and it had been my father's. It was a Remington pump .22 that had magazine of about 17 bullets. This long standing tradition of around 400 years or more let young men know they were trusted enough between the ages of 4 to 8 years of age to be trusted with a weapon and trusted to protect and sometimes feed their families with it. It was a tradition of being accepted into young manhood and responsibility.
Or one which I'm actually grateful for:
"It is lawful to drive a car barefoot in California." which is something I do whenever it is warm enough. I just kick off my shoes and drive barefoot because I am 6 foot 5 inches tall and have size 15 feet. So, it is easier and safer to drive if I drive barefoot or just wearing socks. Or whenever possible I just use cruise control to drive most places when there aren't signals which is easier for me too. The barefoot law was put into place mostly I think because many sandals get caught in the pedals and cause accidents in the warm weather of California. So, in order to reduce deaths and injuries from sandals getting caught in the pedals, California made driving barefoot legal which I think is a great idea for places with warmer weather to keep more people alive and uninjured.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- Should I Give My Son A Used Lamborghini As His First Car?
- how do you change batteries on a black diamond headlamp?
- Sanskrit: Om Mani Padme Hum
- Took a fall in Kahului the day I left
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk has warned for years that increasingly intelligent machines will dominate humans and turn us into their pets
- US Credit Cards With Smart Chip Technology
- Uncle Tommy Travels Time from dragonofcompassion.com
- Ways to survive Climate changes