Monday, February 18, 2013

Bunny Flats to Sand Flats on Mt. Shasta




My older daughter is an expert skier and has either skied or snowboarded with me since she was 7. We were taking my younger daughter who never really got into skiing for her first long run on metal edged cross country skis. She was a real trooper and although she fell down many times she kept on going and was 20 times a better skier by the time we reached my daughter's car. We took my daughter's car and parked it at the Sand Flats road entrance and then parked my 4 wheel drive up at Bunny Flats (top picture) and then skied down to my daughter's car several miles away by hiking up Bunny Flats and then left over to the saddle where the ski tracks lead and then you have to have someone with you that knows the route from there to make it down to San Flats and out the road to where you can park one of your cars. Some people take one car and park at Bunny Flats and then either hitch hike or walk back up to Bunny Flats on the main paved road. However, you have to watch the weather to make sure that can actually work for you. Also, you might be pretty tired when you reach the Sand Flats entrance so be careful.

No comments: