Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Every 5 or 10 Years

If you are a guy like me who dated a lot when he was young then you might have the same problem as I do. Every 5 or 10 years I meet someone and realize I am falling deeply in love with them. The problem with this is that I'm usually happily married or at least married at the time and because of the precedence of dating a lot when I was young really having difficulty not taking this new relationship somewhere it shouldn't really go if I want to stay married and raise my kids.

So, I have just along the way concluded that this sort of thing is going to happen and that I owe it to my kids and to my wife not to go down that road. It is never easy but it is necessary for continuity for ones children. Life is tough enough without placing new and unnecessary burdens on them.

In previous generations,especially in the upper classes men have stayed married and just lied to their wives about such things. I just never thought that this was any kind of good idea. In the end my conclusion is: either be faithful to your wife or don't get married and have kids. If you don't ever marry or have kids then what you do it your own business and no one else's. But if you marry and have kids and have extra relationships someone is always bound to find out sooner or later and wreck your life.

It seems like this is a given.

And I'm not talking about falling in lust. I'm talking about meeting someone who you know you could be happy with for years or more. But for the sake of your kids don't do it. Because what is likely to greet you within the next few years is: divorce, bankruptcy and possible deaths, maybe even your own. These kinds of problems just don't seem to work out well.

If you are going to go in that direction at least get a divorce first so your spouse can still hold her head up high. And then marry the next person. Don't go down two or more roads at the same time. It just never works out right for anyone, especially for your kids.

No comments: