Monday, April 13, 2009

Knights in White Satin

Though the actual song is: "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues, I always thought of it as Knights in White Satin. It made me think of the Knights of the Round table and nobleness and all that. After all, songs are important to where they take you in your visions and dreams after all. At least that's what I have always thought since I have always been a very visual sort of person. I have always had excellent vision and because of this focus been very coordinated all my life like my father, uncles and grandfather. Because of this I have spent a lot of time surfing, riding motorcycles (off road mostly) and traveling by car or truck long distances and climbing mountains and building houses.

I was thinking recently about the lyrics to the song recently and realized (finally) fully that the song is likely actually about a guy who has been with a whole lot of women. Check the lyrics out to see if you agree:

Partial lyrics to "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues
Nights in white satin
Never reaching the end
Letters I've written
Never meaning to send

Beauty I've always seen
with these eyes before
Just what the truth is
I can't say anymore

end partial lyrics

It could just be about one relationship or many relationships but the nights in white satin very likely are nights of lovemaking and all the feelings that come with all that. And then all the letters mean that the relationship is either over or didn't continue for whatever reason, distance, jobs, both in a different city, whatever. The letters mean that there definitely were feelings beyond a one night stand but that they were never sent means they were unrealized dreams, dreams that wanted to be spoken of that couldn't for one reason or another.

When I look back at my early twenties there were several relationships like this that feelings ran very deep but couldn't continue for one reason or another. I found myself relieved somehow when I finally got married and had a son. It was good to not just die of all that emotion in several relationships that were way beyond one night stands. I was very grateful to be married and rescued from more emotions than I felt I could survive otherwise.

When people say there is only one person for each person I think they are very wrong. At first I believed this to be true but then real life experience taught me otherwise. Even though it is very confusing in some ways there may be hundreds and even thousands of people each of us might do well with in a long term relationship. However, thinking this way is just too confusing for most people so they just settle for the nearest person that will settle down with them. In the end we all have to just survive.

The world is not an ideal place after all. It doesn't matter how much we love someone we still have to survive that relationship either with them or without them. The cemeteries are full of people who couldn't live either with their beloved or without them.

So, for God's sake honor yourself first so you can survive this whole thing. It's a lot of years to live in the end and we all do it one day one decision at a time.

Also, this is my cell ring tone so I hear it a lot.

No comments: