Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Guy speak

Don't get me wrong. I love women, probably more than most men. I grew up a ladies man with many many girlfriends but also with male friends. However, now I'm 60 and I'm completely surrounded by women: my wife, my teenage daughter and my 23 year old God-daughter. I guess I'm very lucky. However, there is just so much ladyspeak that any non-gay guy can tolerate. And I'm about at my limit lately. would I rather be completely alone with no one to talk to? No. But I miss my 34 year old son that now is in university for another 1 1/4 years in nursing school who just got married again. So even though I'm happy he's with a young, hot, 23 year old nursing student and married it just means I will see him less than I do already.

People say to me, "Why don't you just go out and make some guy friends?" Well, since my Dad died in 1985 I just don't want to risk losing someone that I'm close to like that again. Also, I have already lost, one to death and the other to early alzheimer's, 2 of my 3 best childhood friends. So, I have one good friend from childhood that is still alive and still touring playing music that I ski with once or twice a year when we both are in Mt. Shasta at the same time during ski season.

Most male friends live more than 300 miles away from me so seeing any of my friends regularly is difficult. So, this is my life, living with three women from teenager to my wife who is 53 while I'm 60. Life goes one. And even though I really miss my guy friends life isn't all that bad really.

No comments: