Friday, April 10, 2009

On a Golf Course in California

Because some of the real people of these events might still be alive I'm not going to say where exactly where or who.

It was about 13 years ago and my father-in-law offered my wife and I and our new baby to spend a week in one of his vacation homes on a golf course in California. He was also trying to sell this home at that time. It was warm and we greatly enjoyed the swimming pool there. Even at night the temperature was warm enough for swimming in the pool under the stars so we went skinny dipping under the stars at night in this really great swimming pool. It was a really wonderful experience. The next day my wife wanted to show me around the golf course. She was telling me of all the movie producers, actors and directors and writers that she had met at parties she had attended here with her father at homes connected to the golf course. She told me of movie and TV Stars of the 1940,50s,60s,70s, and 1980s that she had met that owned a vacation home here. As we rode around the golf course in her father's golf kart I noticed two men looking at us through binoculars. I said to my wife, "Why are those men looking at us through binoculars?" She said, "Oh! Those are Secret Service. One of the Ex-U.S. Presidents has a home there." I was kind of amazed at all this because even though I had met many stars while I was growing up in Los Angeles County working in Beverly Hills, Bel Aire, Hollywood Hills, etc. with my father as an electrician's helper in my teens, I had never had an experience like this one.

Later, someone called on the phone and wanted to look at the house. Because we said they couldn't see the home because we were there with a new baby they insisted on seeing the home later that week and eventually bought it. Since we really liked that place as a getaway vacation spot we were sorry my wife's father sold it. But still we have these memories which are priceless in their own way.

No comments: