Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Babies: The Movie

My wife and I have a 14 year old and I delivered my two oldest children and the 14 year old was Caesarian with me present in a mask and gown. So I have always been a hands on Dad at the birth of my children. So though I have been raising one of my children or stepchildren under age 15 continuously since 1974, that statement is likely not to be true a two years from now in March when my youngest turns 16.

So, today we went to see the French made movie: Babies.
There is a San Francisco Baby, a Japanese Baby in Japan, a Mongolian Baby in Mongolia, and an African baby out in the boonies in Namibia. All four styles of having and raising a baby are markedly different. And sometimes from a western point of view one winces when one sees some of the things the babies are allowed to do. But if I was from another culture I might be having reactions to western ways of doing things too. Anyway, the point of the movie, I believe is that a baby can be raised all sorts of ways and still grow up okay within that culture. It is sort of a green point of view that I found priceless.

I highly recommend anyone interested in babies or babies cross culturally to watch this movie. It will amaze you and make you smile and even make you wince. Enjoy it!

No comments: