Monday, May 17, 2010

Positive Thinking: I'm Okay You're Okay

When I was growing up my parents didn't drink or smoke or use drugs of any kind (even prescription) and they raised me this way too. At the time I thought that they were just too different and embarrassing just like most kids are embarrassed by their parents. However, as I moved into my teen years I began to begin to see the usefulness of my parents ways. Especially when I saw just how many people were alcoholics and how many smoked and died of lung cancer during the 1950s when I was growing up. During the 1960s was when antismoking and the whole Mothers against drunk drivers and all that really got going and things began to change. But before that it was kind of insane how many people were driving drunk and getting killed all the time. People just sort of put up with all the mayhem until there were just too many people dying because of all the traffic in big cities.

So I began to see my parents' wisdom of not smoking or drinking or even going to doctors much. So instead my parents ate organic food and were very healthy and were lacto ovo vegetarians(milk and eggs were allowed like in India). So in my family rather than grabbing a beer like in some of my friends families would,  we would move towards positive thinking. So if we were upset about something we would turn our thoughts to create something positive out of whatever was happening.  The problem I had with this was sometimes this was useful and sometimes I didn't consider it to be useful.

Let me give you an example. You are standing in the middle of a highway and a big semi truck is coming towards you and so you say to your friend standing in the middle of the highway, "I'm okay. You're okay" and you just keep repeating that. Will you live through this experience? Only if the truck driver sees you in time and stops or honks and drives around you.

So, then if you are standing on the sidewalk or to the side of the road and you are scared and you say, "I'm okay. You're okay" over and over again to your friend. Will you be okay? Yes. You have a 99% chance of being okay as long as the truck driver isn't drunk and sways the truck off the road in your direction.

So, the first example of standing in the middle of the road and doing positive thinking (I'm okay. You're okay) isn't going to work unless the driver sees you.

IN the second example you have a 99% or better chance of this positive thinking working so the most that likely will happen is that you will get a wind that might almost blow you down as the truck whizzes past at about 65 mph or so.

So, this is my thought about positive thinking. You have to be practical enough to know when to use it so it isn't just dangerous or fatal. But if you use it with enough common sense and intelligence you can go anywhere and do almost anything by God's Grace.

While everyone else is messing up their minds with alcohol and drugs you can be eating healthy food and making a million dollars or traveling around the world and meeting the person of your dreams or whatever your dream in life is. Life is always a choice. If you want to live your dreams you have to be disciplined enough for them to even have a chance of happening.

No comments: