Sunday, May 30, 2010

Prince of Persia: The Movie

I saw "Prince of Persia" today with my two daughters and we all liked it a lot. Maybe because I'm 62 it kind of lost me during the middle. But I really like the last 1/4 of the movie a lot. But I think of you are between 11 and 25 which is the basic age demarcation a movie like this is designed around for making money you would be happy with it. I found it hard to immerse myself in such a culturally different world and customs than I'm normally used to in the western world. But also I must say this is a part of its charm also of not knowing really what this means or that means culturally. And then wondering how much is true and real of that era and how much is fantasy. So, with a sort of anthropological bent to the way I see things(I majored at a University in Anthropology), I sort of kept wondering in regard to various ideas and behaviors whether I was seeing (westernized) Eastern ideas or half eastern and half western. So culturally I was sort of left confused as to what was real and what wasn't a part of ancient Persia.   But I wondered about the Uncle and the sons and whether all that was real.  But then there are also legends of highly individualized and developed humans who can travel through time and space without any technology. So I was interested from this angle too. For those of you interested I"m sure there will be those who will take the actual time to figure all this out. And of course there are also the historians and anthropologists and archaeologists who already know the answer or answers that I'm talking about and with a few flicks of their keys on the internet who can find out anything that may not be clear to them historically. Anything, of course, that is still known a thousand or more  years later.

If you've already seen the movie and are doing research like me:

It takes place in the 6th century BC , so it mostly would have to be a fairly mythical storyline because of this. The further you go back in time the less is known generally about what people are writing. So I would say mostly this is just good fun set in an ancient setting. The King, Sharaman, is a video game character and doesn't appear to be a historical figure. His name seems to be similar to Suleman and Saladin but other than that he appears to be fictitious. Therefore, all the other characters are likely from the video game or introduced from the movie as well. Disney did a great job with this movie in typical Disney style and grace.

No comments: