Sunday, February 5, 2012

An Open Heart: The Dalai Lama

The title is a book by the Dalai Lama that I opened today because it was sitting on my bedstand. I have been very sick since Wednesday after taking care of my Wife and Son who were ill the previous week. I had not become ill for 1 1/2 years because my immune system has been so very strong after having Swine Flu and surviving. So, I was getting a little discouraged from so many days of almost not even knowing my name and feeling both out of time and space in many ways and into a sort of void nether world where sick people have to go to to come out the other side alive and well. So, as I opened this book to the bookmark I had left I found these two poems which I found remarkable and decided to share them from the Introduction of this book. The first is on page 8 and the second is on page 25.


So long as space remains,
So long as sentient beings remain,
I will remain,
In order to make my contribution.


The above is on page 8 and is the attitude of a Bodhisattva through an almost infinite series of lifetimes. Also, a real Bodhisattva lives in both heaven realms and earth simultaneously. So, when a Bodhisattva is in a body working to help sentient beings, he or she is both in heaven and in earth because of his or her gifts earned through past lives of physical and spiritual evolution. When the Bodhisattva passes out of his or her body they remain in Heaven realms or the Formless Realms as is needed to regenerate and to rest before returning to another body to help move sentient beings away from suffering and into enlightenment. The following is the next poem that touched me on page 25 of the introduction:

May the poor find wealth,
Those weak with sorrow find joy,
May the forlorn find hope,
Constant happiness and prosperity

May the frightened cease to be afraid,
And those bound be free
May the weak find power
And may their hearts join in friendship

end quotes from "An Open Heart" by the Dalai Lama
Today this was what I needed to hear because being an intuitive or any conscientious person on earth these days one's heart feels like breaking for mankind. Things for the world don't seem to be getting easier but more difficult. But in the long run I have hope for mankind but as an intuitive I'm not particularly thrilled with having to live through the next couple of years because of what I feel coming in the short run as an intuitive. So I guess the best way to put this would be: "Those who do the best will learn how to take whatever happens in stride".

One of the things in this sense that helped my pioneering family that came to the United States in 1725 up the Philadelphia River to settle in Pennsylvania first was: "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best". This way of looking at things will be a motto of those who prosper and survive into the future just like it was for our forebears.

No comments: