Friday, February 3, 2012

Texting

Over the last 3 years I was sort of dragged kicking and screaming at first into texting on my smart phone. At first, I realized I had to get a 25 dollar a month texting plan to do it which at first seemed kind of ridiculous until I realized that with that plan I could then make unlimited free calls also within the United States any time of day. So, this peaked my interest. Then I found that the only useful way to contact my older son, older daughter or younger daughter. I found that if I called often they had disabled their ringtone and now only answered texts or called out to reach people when they wanted which at the time I found very frustrating until I started texting myself. Many people over 40 or 50 like me still don't text or haven't bought texting plans for their cell phones or smart phones, and even though I understand why, it is important I find to be able to text for most people as well. The beauty of a text is that you can have an ongoing conversation over days or weeks with a text. Each person can view their texts in their own good time and not be interrupted in whatever they are doing by having to answer a phone. In fact, often with my older daughter I have to text her to schedule when we will talk because she is out of state and busy. So, even though it is frustrating at times, sooner or later I can talk to her if I text first. So, mostly because of my children I'm now a texter too. But I still meet many people my age that don't want to text or don't understand why they need to.

No comments: