Wednesday, February 13, 2013

To protect your Blog from Hacking

Most hackers could be any age from about 5 or 6 years old to 90 or more. So, you don't know really who you are dealing with so getting angry isn't really useful. So, after my experience a week or so ago while I was writing "As Drones Evolve" I realized I had gotten a bit lazy and had started to compose right here at my website. But, this was dangerous because I didn't have back up copy or copies to refer to in case I got hacked. So, I lost by not having a backup copy of about 2 days worth of work which was kind of sad because I really liked what I had written. Now some writers would just copy from their memory somewhat the same story they wrote before. But that is not me. For me, something I'm writing is as spontaneous as walking outside and saying hi to someone walking by. It might just be hi or it might lead to a 1/2 hour conversation about dogs or the weather or anything. Life is completely spontaneous and unexpected always. And since as an intuitive the best things are always spontaneous accomplishment which I have observed always seems to help the most amount of people in the here and now and also in the future (or maybe even in the past).

Also, having a longer password with one or more numbers in it that don't necessarily have any reference to your address or phone number or anything you might write about online might be good to add on to your password as well.

Another thing, I am now writing the longer stuff I write in Word first. Then I paste it into my blog from word. A short article of a few paragraphs I don't worry about as much, but if I am really taking some time to write something I want to make sure nothing happens to that. And, so far the only hacking experience I had was this one so I changed my password to something that has something that cannot be guessed from anything I write about. So, this is something to think about too in keeping your Blogging site safe. If the stuff you write that you don't want to lose is written in Word and then you paste and maybe even then as an extra safety measure print a copy of whatever you write, you should never lose it at that point as long as you remember where you put your copy and as long as the computer you wrote it on doesn't crash or die unexpectedly or disappear from your life somehow. So, having multiple copies of things you really care about is important. We have all seen the author with a whole book on loose typewritten (or worse handwritten which is the only copy then fall and blow away in the wind. A good writer always keeps two or three copies or more of anything he or she doesn't want to lose.

Later: Also, say your computer dies and all you have left is your physical paper copy. If you have a printer-fax-scanner etc. type of unit you can then scan your copy back into your computer sometimes, or you could scan it in as a .jpeg file as a photo of the copy or whatever you can figure out. In this way you don't have to retype everything again. You just copy the copy back into whatever medium you want in whatever form you can come up with that works for you.

Also, remember even if your computer dies, the servers at your blog site likely are going to keep all your files and then when you get a new computer you could make a copy again onto your new computer for extra safety. Also, you could put anything you are doing on DVD's or even CD's as backups as well as long as you take a marking pen and write on the CD's or DVD's so you know what is in there for reference.

If you are a writer who hand writes everything then I would get someone proficient with computers (could be you) who can scan your handwritten stuff so you don't have to handwrite a copy of your work as a safety mechanism should something happen to your original hand written copy. You could also have them put this on DVD or CD for added protection too.


No comments: