My wife and I recently watched "The Long Kiss Goodbye" made in 1996 with Geena Davis and Samuel Jackson and several other really good actors. This led to other movies we really liked in the 1990s when we first got together like "The Peacemaker". So my wife said, "Hey. Let's rent that one again. So I did.
I think it is the first time I have seen the movie again since 9-11 so it had an entirely different context. However, I could see why you don't see it on TV much since 9-11 because it would have seemed inappropriate on most cable or networks. There aren't a lot of movies like this on TV except for "True Lies" which though it has a nuclear weapon go off during the movie is also very tongue in cheek and downright funny at times. So this takes the edge off of that movie for most people.
But, "The Peacemaker" for many would just be too real since 9-11 even almost 10 years later.
In "The Peacemaker" made in 1997 stars George Clooney and Nicole Kidman. If you want an E Ticket ride this movie is pretty good. It doesn't have all the special graphics effects of many movies but it makes up for this in good action and good acting. It takes place on the East Coast of the United States and in Russia and Bosnia and near the Iranian border. So it is a non stop exciting movie that reminds me of the pacing of the old James Bond kind of movies that I grew up watching. So, I really like this type of pacing in a movie. If you like this type of movie there is also "The Sum of all Fears" with Morgan Freeman and Ben Affleck that is similar to this movie in some ways as well.
It is interesting just how much the world has changed since the 1990s. When "The Peacemaker" was made it had only been a few years since the Iron Curtain had collapsed and everything was changing in the world because of it. Now we are living the long term consequences of the end of the Cold War for better and for worse 20 years later all over the Earth. The end of the cold war meant completely different things for all of Earth than anyone expected or imagined.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- Should I Give My Son A Used Lamborghini As His First Car?
- how do you change batteries on a black diamond headlamp?
- the actual location of the Crystal Palace is the Dalai Lama Village in Italy near Aoste
- What is Dragon of Compassion All About?
- US Credit Cards With Smart Chip Technology
- When Angels are a normal everyday experience:
- Chuck Lorre Productions #264 and #265
- most read articles of the last 168 hours or 7 days as of November 10th 2019 Sunday