Saturday, November 27, 2010

Surviving the Traumas of One's Life

Being retired has its advantages and disadvantages. It allows me to have time to think about things more deeply than many other people still have time for. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. So, last night I was thinking about "What are the most important things that allow any human to survive?"

The more I thought about this and went back in my own life in my mind, I realized that one of the most important things is how each of us deal with our traumas. Now, here I should define what I mean by a trauma. So, the way I would define a trauma is anything that is a serious physical illness or injury. It also could be the death of a very close loved one. It could also be breaking up with someone you love. It could also mean losing a really good job or having your home foreclosed and losing a place to live.

All these and more are the traumas in one's life and how each of us deal with these things and how we each choose to react to all these things will decide whether we live, die, survive, go crazy, go temporarily crazy and regroup as a slightly different person or whatever.

For example, I can retrace quite easily all the basic traumas of my life, and I can say quite easily to you that each one changed me irrevocably into a different person each time. So, the most important thing I can say to each of you is that if you don't find a useful way to adapt to any trauma in your life, you either won't survive or you won't be sane out the other side of it, one of the two.

So, being an opportunist at all times and basically living the motto, "There are no problems only opportunities" will allow you to not only survive almost anything, but it will allow you to always create an amazing life in literally any circumstances. Because if you don't see anything as a real problem then truly all experiences become opportunities for new and amazing experiences. Life is an ongoing adventure. If things don't go the way you thought or planned, So what? BE an OPPORTUNIST. If life gives you lemons just make lemonade or lemon pie. I really like Lemon meringue pie! How about you?

No comments: