Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Castles to Cannons

A Poem -From Castles to Cannons written late September 2001

Times have changed
Hopis say swim in the middle of the river
Don’t hang onto the banks
Go with the flow
We are all swept away in the new tide
Fighting the changes only brings pain and hurt
Go with the changes
Build a new life from the ashes of the old

A new world paradigm builds
Just as it did in the early 1900’s
Everything has changed
And so have we

I find myself trying to cling onto a past now dead
A past I felt secure in
Nothing feels secure like it once did

I remember how feelings of security crashed during the Cuban Missile Crisis
And when the Kennedys and King died
But it was different than this
And those days are gone

I remember then how insecure we all felt in the 60’s
None of us expected to live to be 30
Many young people now may feel the same way
But I say to you truly
You will not die
You will just have to find a way to cope with all the changes
Just as we all did in the 60’s
Just as people have had to find ways of coping and going on
Throughout all past times
Things are just different now
They are not over
Just different

No comments: