Monday, March 5, 2012

Tornado Alley

I have given a lot of thought to this. It appears more and more because of the ongoing increasing effects of Global Climate change that as the world temperatures slowly increase this century (about 1.7 degrees Fahrenheit worldwide so far since the 1980s) that winds are predictably going to increase also in windstorms, rainstorms, tornadoes and Hurricanes and all wind events. Also, this year since the ice cap melted off so severely in the summer in and fall of 2011 it made the arctic temperatures drop down into Russia, Europe and North Africa and somewhere between 500 and 1000 people died and countless others got frostbite from below zero temperatures where they normally don't occur. The other effect is a much drier warmer winter this year in the U.S. and Canada.

But I was thinking about Tornado Alley in the U.S. and how if one looked over the next 50 to 100 years it is not longer if a tornado hits your house it is likely when during the next 50 to 100 years in Tornado Alley. It is hard to say what size the tornado will be that hits you or if your house will blow down but it is now becoming likely that anyone in Tornado Alley will see some tornado hit their house, property, Church, school, or place of work. So, as time goes on because of all these factors the number of people will steadily increase who die or are injured. I was thinking living in Tornado Alley during the now ever increasing tornado season is sort of like riding a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle on the Freeway about 70 mph in ongoing risk during the Tornado Season.

Now, since I live in California you might say to me, "What about Earthquakes?" But what is really strange is that no one has died in California because of an Earthquake since 2003 which is pretty amazing in itself. So, as of now it is more likely to die in a traffic accident, or burn up in a fire or be killed in an avalanche than to die in an Earthquake if you live in California. However, just like if you live in Tornado Alley you are sure to see Tornadoes, likewise if you live in California you are going to experience earthquakes. What is unknown is how big those earthquakes will be. So, for example, I have lived mostly in different parts of California since 1952 when I was 4 years old. I have been in one earthquake that was literally so bad I thought I was going to die for several minutes and many people died in that quake in California. I have also been in many quakes that literally scared the stuffing out of me but I knew I wasn't going to die I was just startled and banged my head on the wall as I was thrown about and stuff like that. Then there are the smaller ones that you feel that send pictures off the wall and send chandeliers swinging for about 1/2 hour or so. But just like if you live in tornado alley you will experience tornadoes, if you live in California sooner or later you are going to feel and experience earthquakes. It's just a given. So then, the question becomes what can you live with and be okay? Everyone must ask themselves this question anywhere they choose to live on earth.

No comments: