I agree with Obama on many things but not upon this. Year around school does not allow kids to have the time to just BE. Having the time to just be and read books that I was interested in and traveling with my parents and visiting mountains, oceans, new people, helped create the person I became as an adult and led to my traveling all over the world.
The only thing I'm certain we will create with all year around school is robots, automatons, people who can't think for themselves but only obey their teachers and parents.
This country was built upon rugged individuality. This uniqueness has made America different from any other country. Part if this individuality is innovation. And innovation comes from two things: Boredom and the absolute necessity of survival.
All the good things that came from America came because of all the people who died trying to settle America. The people who found ways to survive in a new environment created the innovative america everyone knew in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Just thinking about competing with other nations and nothing else will only make us more robotic and less human and individualistic. Individualism is the primary basis of American ingenuity. Without free time to develop individuality we will only become another nation of biological robots. And all the best things about America will have been lost.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- how do you change batteries on a black diamond headlamp?
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- co-creation, collaboration and open innovation
- US Credit Cards With Smart Chip Technology
- My father met George Adamski in the 1950s
- What's Holi?
- Most unusual and hilarious scientific research winners
- Jim Mattis: Duty, Democracy and the Threat of Tribalism
- The most influential scientist you may never have heard of