Sunday, September 20, 2009

The End of Cursive Longhand?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_re_us/us_cursive_angst

My father in the 1920s was awarded a prize for the best grade in Penmanship and mathematics in the 8th grade in the state of Washington. So in 1956 when I was 8 he made me cry after forcing me to be a right hander at age 3 when I was born ambidextrous but favoring my left hand. So, at age 8 I still wasn't the best at writing or drawing using my right hand as had been insisted on by my father. I remember him being extremely upset with me that my cursive was terrible even after three hours of forcing me over and over to do writing exercises. He finally gave up in disgust.


So two years after that I started hand printing everything but my signature and I still do that to this day unless longhand is called for for some special occasion as in writing a handwritten letter to someone who needs my emotional support.

But if you read the web article at yahoo news above it appears that some school districts aren't bothering to teach cursive at all. This is my question to you. If we have a Electromagnetic pulse, for example, of a 100 megaton bomb over the United States at some point at 100 miles up no computer, or normal electricl device including cars or any normal non-military electrical motor will work ever again. What would these people do who can't write cursive if all magnetic media was gone from the U.S.

If all you have is CDs and DVDs and nothing working to play them on because they are non-magnetic media. What happens then?

There are many science fiction stories that speak of this happening to multiple generations and the end result is that robots and computers are the only ones who know anything at all useful and people then know almost nothing and are dependent upon robots or computers to do everything for them. Do we want that? I don't think so.

No comments: