Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Quinoa

My daughter asked me how I liked Quinoa. I said, "What's quinoa?" She said, "Dad. How is it you don't know what it is because I already cooked and made it for you several times. Well. Now I felt embarrassed and said, "Well. If I named my hand quinoa I still would be clear about what we are talking about as I have no reference points that I can remember regarding quinoa at any point I can remember in my life."

So since this stuff is a good grain for eating and can be grown up to 12,000 feet or higher in the Andes in South America, then likely it can be grown and eaten around the world even at high altitudes. So I thought I would share this with you around the world because this knowledge might be useful one day to your survival or your friends or families.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

begin quote from Wikipedia
"Quinoa (pronounced /ˈkiːnoʊ.ə/ or /kwɨˈnoʊ.ə/, Spanish quinua, from Quechua kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a grass. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach and tumbleweeds. Its leaves are also eaten as a leaf vegetable, much like amaranth, but the commercial availability of quinoa greens is currently limited.

Quinoa originated in the Andean region of South America, where it has been an important food for 6,000 years. Its name is the Spanish spelling of the Quechua name. Quinoa is generally undemanding and altitude-hardy, so it can be easily cultivated in the Andes up to about 4,000 meters. Even so, it grows best in well-drained soils and requires a relatively long growing season. In eastern North America, it is susceptible to a leaf miner that may reduce crop success; this leaf miner also affects the common weed and close relative Chenopodium album, but C. album is much more resistant." end quote

No comments: