Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kindle

My daughter got a Kindle about 1 year ago for Christmas. She used it some especially during the summer break but is too busy to use it much during the school year in high school. So I asked if I could borrow it because I haven't bought myself one or had one given to me. So, I read a little of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" in book form because I had enjoyed both the Swedish original movie called over there " "Män som hatar kvinnor" (Men Who Hate Women) with English Subtitles also known here in the U.S. as "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" in both Swedish and the American version.

I had asked my son if a Kindle could speak a book to me and asked him to demonstrate it. He said, "It sounds sort of robotic but here I'll show you how it works. So, I listened and the somewhat robotic voice didn't sound that bad to me as I have heard much worse robotic phonics than that. But today, I looked for a book I wanted to listen to called "Ringworld" by Larry Niven. It is one of my favorite Science Fiction books of all time and won the Hugo Nebula award in 1970 for science fiction. But I noticed that they wanted 17.95 for it and I asked him about that because it was pretty steep. He said that this is a voice book that a real person reads. I said, "Oh. You mean a Kindle can play voice books too?" He said, "Yes." So, I went to Audiobooks in Kindle and they said that if I was joining audiobooks I could get one book for free there. So, I downloaded my first audiobook for free of Ringworld by Larry Niven. My wife thought that this actually was a pretty good deal even if I had to pay 17.95 for it because you would likely pay 50 dollars or more for CD's of a book like that otherwise. And this way it just downloaded for free through my wifi in my home. Pretty neat! 

I generally don't read books much just because it usually hurts my eyes to read that long if it isn't a magazine or computer. Usually the print is too small for my eyes to feel comfortable too. I used to have perfect vision for most of my life until my very late 40s and my brain had a hard time adjusting to reading glasses so this has harmed me in regard to reading books without getting a headache with reading glasses. However, if I read a larger magazine or stuff on a larger computer terminal at 15 inches or above my eyes don't hurt and I don't get headaches. But it is hard for me not reading books made of paper much anymore because of headaches and nausea if I read for more than 1/2 hour or so. However, I use reading glasses to watch TV on my 52 inch Flat Screen in HD and enjoy it a lot, especially now we got a Tivo Elite that can record 300 hours in HD programming at a time.  So, if you want to read or be informed just don't give up if you have problems like I have had regarding nausea or headaches when you have to start wearing glasses. Eventually, you start to find ways around whatever the problems are. So Stay adaptable and stay alive!

Note:  Today is Sunday May 6th. I noticed about a month after I got the free audiobook that a charge that I think was around $14.95 showed up on my checking account records from them. I asked them what this charge was and got no answer. So, I'm thinking that this was the charge to join Audiobooks and I'm not sure if it is a one time charge or a yearly charge or what. But if I am charged that again I'll have to contact them to see if I can get a reply this time.

No comments: